Monday, January 23, 2006

Banana Dog

For whatever reason, I haven't been a very inspired cook lately. My plate has been full with work since the beginning of the new year. I've been trying to eat more fiber, but haven't been terribly creative about how to do that. I'll steam up some brown rice to get through the week; open a couple of cans of organic pinto beans and saute them with some onion, garlic, salt and pepper; steam some broccoli; and then take a little of all of the above with me to work. Then, for supper, more of the same to accompany some chicken thighs or fish - whatever's in the larder. Like I said, not terribly inspired or creative, but wholesome and healthy and fiber-filled.

Well, it's snowing today here in New England and I'm at home enjoying a day off, hanging out with the dogs, cozying up with a nice fire in the woodstove, and anticipating a good deal of shoveling before the day is done.

And I'm hungry. I need a little something that is inspired by the day. Something filled with the energy and calories I'll need for keeping warm while tossing snow around and for bringing in armful after armful of wood. At the same time, I need something playful, a treat - the sort of thing a child might look forward to eating on a "snow day."

Well, I think I've found it. This morning in one of the "local" papers, I read about something that sounds kind of fun: the banana dog. Simple, healthful, and a little more playful than your average foodstuff. Perfect for the blizzard we're having - good sustenance for shovellers and sledders. Here's the basic recipe:

One slice of whole-wheat bread or a whole-wheat hotdog roll
A tablespoon or two of your favorite peanut (or other nut) butter
One banana

Think "hotdog." Assemble as pictured.

I'm thinking - and here's me beginning to get creative again - that you could spice all this up with some finely chopped apple, either by itself or in the form of a "relish" made with some raisens or chopped up prunes, just a touch of maple syrup, and maybe some cinnamon. Applesauce would work nicely if you already had some handy. You could sprinkle a few walnuts on it, too, if you feel so moved.

Sounds good with a glass of milk - or kefir - or, in my case, I think a cup of coffee.

I'll let you know how this little snow-day experiment works out.

In the meantime, Happy Shoveling, New England!

9 comments:

Lila said...

Hey, thanks for the recipe. You know I'm always looking for things I can "cook". :-)

The Reverent Eater said...

Yeah, this is a good one for you, isn't it?
Mine was delicious, though the bread fell apart. I recommend a roll - or fresher bread. Yum though.

Minka said...

I am actually trying this one out tomorrow. Always wanted to try peanutbutter anyways. Can´t believe this to be healthy though :) The banana maybe :)
Hope you showed the snow a good shovel time!

Minka said...

I tried it and it is great!!!
I also purchased my first peanut butter jar and let me tell you...LOVING IT! I might get addicted...there are places I can go if I need help right?

The Reverent Eater said...

Hey, Monika! I'm glad you like it! Peanut butter is actually pretty healthy, in moderation. The fat is all "good" fat. I'd recommend trying to limit yourself to 2 Tablespoons a day. If you get really desperate, you can check out this website and know you're not alone:
http://www.dvo.com/newsletter/monthly/2002/april/jest.html

rilvpb
"I love peanut butter" as said with pb stuck to the roof of your mouth!

The Reverent Eater said...

http://www.dvo.com/newsletter/monthly/2002/april/jest.html

The Reverent Eater said...

I'm not having much luck with this link. That would be ...april/jest.html

A Little Bar of Soap said...

I've been meaning to ask you: What is wrong with meat and potatoes, the "fishes and loaves" of the 20th and 21st century?

The Reverent Eater said...

Soapy, nothing's wrong with meat and potatoes. Nor is anything wrong with loaves and fishes. And if you like that stuff, you might even enjoy pan-seared tuna with brown rice and quinoa!