Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Mozzarella Morning



Well, the relatives are beginning to arrive for Thanksgiving festivities. Late last night, my sister and her eldest flew from the southern hinterlands into the wind-stricken North. Their plane was delayed by about 3 hours, and now everyone is sleeping in.

Tomorrow we head to my in-laws for a delicious and traditional Thanksgiving feast. I've got a little bit of shopping to do...and a little bit of cooking. But the big event for today is making Mozzarella.

To make cheese, you've first got to lay your hands on fresh milk, which has not been ultrapasteurized as most store-bought milk is. So, last night I picked up a gallon of farm-fresh milk and we should be all set.

I also was fortunate enough to dine with a member of my congregation who is not only fine and upstanding, but also raises fine and upstanding hens. So, we're blessed with fresh eggs, too, which might make a grand breakfast...and I do hear people stirring upstairs...so I'll post more about the cheesemaking after the milk has become cheese and the cheese has become part of a pizza and our bellies are full and we are content.

In the meantime, happy day before Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Lila said...

Wow, I've never made cheese! Cool beans.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Minka said...

Hop eyou had a great day and a lovely Thanksgiving!