Saturday, November 19, 2005

Saturday Morning Food Doggerel



I think it's time for a good ol' food appreciation post and who better to appreciate food than a pack of labs. So, from my dogs to yours, a favorite poem...

Dog Kibble: A Villanelle

by Charles Baxter

Life is never meaningless: there is always food.

All day I sit upon the stairs, nose beween the bars,

and consider kibble - its smell, its taste, its mood -

and I am happy. We walk back to the woods

after lunch (me and the humans) and under leaves there are

so many dark crunchy things to eat that I should

not eat but I eat anyway. They are so good!

Even when they make me sick at home or in the car,

I like them. I like to eat. I brood

about the taste of kibble hours before it's chewed.

They keep my meals in the kitchen in a plastic jar.

Don't put me on your couch, please, Dr Freud,

I'm sweet and simple and I'm good.

When I'm sad or sick, not up to par,

I sleep downstairs curled near the toilet. I'm not crude.

I've known shame, and joy, and I have viewed

delicious sights. I don't wander. I don't go far.

Life isn't meaningless because there's food.

Consider kibble: its smell, its taste, its mood.

4 comments:

Lila said...

Very nice!

Minka said...

yes, there is nothing quite like it. As long as it is well prepared. At the moment I am stuffing myself with ice-cream and a good conscience, since that is all the food my sore throat is letting through to the stomach :)
Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog!

Doug The Una said...

I just read that to my dogs. They wept.

The Reverent Eater said...

Monika, thanks for stopping by!
Doug, you, too - and what literate dogs you have!